flash3

Monday 20 August 2012

Giroud - Be patient and I will deliver goals

Olivier Giroud has called for patience as he begins his Arsenal career - and says he should not be compared to Robin van Persie.
The France international moved to Emirates Stadium this summer after a superb season with Montpellier, where he scored 21 goals as they won the Ligue 1 title.
The 25-year-old had a late opportunity against Sunderland on Saturday, and while he was disappointed to miss the chance he remains confident he will get off the mark soon.
“Yes, it was a game ball... the ball came from behind and I didn’t have much time to take in the information.

 I didn’t know if the keeper had come out quickly or not,” Giroud said.
“If it had been on my left foot, I probably would have taken more time. It was on the right foot... that’s all. I'll have to work my right foot.
“It could have been the dream start. In Montpellier, I did not score in my first game, so I'm not worried. I will have plenty of chances here and I will score. For a striker, scoring goals is very important. It gives a little bit more confidence.”
Giroud - along with Lukas Podolski - will fill the void left by Van Persie’s departure, but he insists he is a different player to the former Arsenal striker.
“It is up to me to succeed. I’m not here to make people forget Robin,” said Giroud. “He has made beautiful things here but I just want to bring something new.
“People are clever enough to know that Robin took a lot of space here. His last season was wonderful. But before that, he took time to settle.
“So I'm just asking people to be a little patient with me. I know Arsenal is a great club and needs a striker ready and efficient quickly.”

1 comment: